Cycle race set to make history in Cambridgeshire
- Credit: Archant
Cyclists will get to rub shoulders with elite riders when the first ever Tour of Cambridgeshire is held next year.
The event, on June 6-7, will include a time trial for elite amateur cyclists and a 132km Gran Fondo road race.
The Gran Fondo format, which has never before been seen in the UK, is similar to that of a marathon, where professionals are at the front and everyone else is behind.
It will be led by Tom Caldwell, who has brought the Circuit of the Fens to Cambridgeshire, as well as the first criterium event in St Ives last year, and who helped with The Hunts Post’s Two Wheels for Woodlands charity bike ride.
On June 6, the 28km time trial, which starts and finishes at Peterborough Arena, will feature many of the world’s top amateur cyclists, who will bid to qualify for the UCI World Cycling Tour Amateur Road World Championship.
The following day, riders will set off from Peterborough Arena and pedal through Huntingdonshire as they complete the Gran Fondo. The route takes in Great Gidding, Alconbury, Abbots Ripton, Woodwalton and Ramsey before heading into Fenland and finishing in Peterborough.
There will be two food stops on the route and the race will be supported with mechanical assistance and medical cover.
- 1 Police searching for missing man discover body
- 2 Eight Huntingdon children handed anti-social behaviour interventions
- 3 A1 set for night-time and weekend closures until August
- 4 Two-day closure set for B661 between Great Staughton and Grafham Water
- 5 Meet the Sassy Lassies cycling group encouraging women in Huntingdonshire to ride
- 6 Suspected case of bird flu in swan reported to DEFRA
- 7 Police check home of 101-year-old animal rights patron for stolen beagles
- 8 New homes plan for Huntingdonshire village
- 9 A "determined" Huntingdon man takes on Everest after a double lung transplant
- 10 Site cleared after 'grenade' prompts alarm
The overall winning man and woman will receive a first prize of £1,500 in each event.
A Tour of Cambridgeshire spokesman said: “A revolution is about to take place in UK cycling and this is your chance to be part of it.
“The weekend incorporates the first ever authentic continental-style Gran Fondo mass participation race and ride on English shores.
“Whether you want to race or to be part of UK cycling history by having a leisurely ride on closed roads, you can participate and feel the experience of a pro rider. This style of racing is totally new in the UK.
“Behind those wanting to race will be a mass participation event, much like marathon running where the professionals are at the front and everyone else behind, where you can race your friends or simply enjoy a safe day out on closed roads enjoying the countryside.”
INFORMATION: For more, visit www.tourofcambridgeshire.com.