Customers flock to restaurant as Nando’s opens in Huntingdon
- Credit: Archant
More than 40 jobs have been created as the international chicken restaurant Nando’s opened its doors in Huntingdon. Hunt
The chain originating from South Africa has taken over the former Blockbuster store in Towerfields Leisure Park.
Manager Marco Galelli said: “The response for jobs was overwhelming; we had a lot of people interested in working here. We carried out 280 telephone interviews and 160 face to face interviews for 40 staff both full time and part time.”
To prepare for the grand opening staff were put through their paces with trials serving selected customers.
“I was very happy with these, customers loved the new restaurant and the staff all did really well.”
You may also want to watch:
After opening on Wednesday (September 2) the restaurant has already seen thousands of diners come through its doors to experience the famous chicken.
“I think it has been very popular because there hasn’t been a Nando’s around for miles, people either have to go up to Peterborough or Cambridge to get to the nearest one,” added Mr Galelli.
- 1 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 2 Man charged after knife found in St Neots police raid
- 3 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 4 Axe seized and two people charged for drink driving in St Ives
- 5 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 6 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 7 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 8 Jail for 'despicable' burglary on 93-year-old man with dementia
- 9 Reflect on the 'rich tints of Autumn' at open gardens this weekend
- 10 St Neots schoolgirl takes on bike ride for Children in Need
Planning permission was granted from Huntingdonshire District Council last year to change the Blockbuster outlet to put up signs and install an outside seating area, comprising of five tables and 20 chairs.
The unit has also been extended to accommodate it with additional space for kitchens and dining area.
“The restaurant has been designed in a Mozambican/Portuguese theme with reclaimed wood from fishing boats used on the wall.”
Towerfields is already home to a number of restaurants, as well as a cinema and a gym.
Founded in 1987 Nando’s currently operates in 30 countries and has 333 branches in the UK.