Crisis meeting called to discuss future of health services across Cambridgeshire
- Credit: Archant
A meeting to discuss “the crisis” looming for future provision of health services in Cambridgeshire is being held on February 24.
The meeting, which has been organised by two campaigning organisations, Cambridge Health Emergency and Keep Our NHS Public, has been called following the Care Quality Commission’s report and ‘special measures’ being imposed on the Trust which runs Addenbrooke’s Hospital, and the collapse of the contract to run older people’s and adult community services in the county.
The future of clinical services at Hinchingbrooke Hospital is also in doubt in view of a possible merger with Peterborough and Stamford Hospitals Trust.
Both Addenbrooke’s and Hinchingbrooke Hospitals have well documented mounting financial deficits which campaigners say is caused by years of underfunding.
The speakers will be Dr John Lister, one of the UK’s leading experts on health policy and campaigning to preserve the NHS; Val Moore, chairman of Cambridgeshire Healthwatch; and a local representative for junior doctors who are currently in dispute over their contracts.
You may also want to watch:
A spokesperson for Cambridge Health Emergency said: “Recent events have raised very serious questions about the impact of this government’s policies on health services in Cambridgeshire. This meeting will discuss these issues in detail, and then consider how to organise across the county to defend our NHS.”
The meeting will be at the Wesley Methodist Church, Christ’s Pieces, Cambridge on February 24, from 7pm till 9.30pm.
- 1 Station hub will "breathe new life" into Huntingdon
- 2 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 3 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 4 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 5 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 6 Gym members raise funds for children with cancer
- 7 How well do you know Huntingdon?
- 8 Take a sneaky peak inside the new Di Rita's at No2 restaurant in St Ives
- 9 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 10 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k