The history of the Huntingdonshire village of Old Hurst
- Credit: HUNTS POST
Old Hurst lies approximately five miles north-east of Huntingdon and its population, according to the 2011 Census, is 256.
The small parish church of St Peter's dates from the 12th/13th Century and is a Grade II listed building.
Records show it was possibly built by Ralph Mowin who is said to have presented it in the reign of Henry II (1154-89). The thickness of the north wall suggests that it dates from the 12th Century, but the church itself was rebuilt in the late 13th Century. A considerable restoration took place in 1868, and the east wall was rebuilt in 1903.
The roof is almost entirely modern and the division between chancel and nave is marked externally by an oak cross with a floral figure on each side, bearing a strong resemblance to a crucifix and its attendant figures. It was erected in 1868 by the vicar, the Rev. C. D. Goldie.
At one time, along the road between Old Hurst and St Ives there was what was described as a "low chair-shaped hunk of stone" called the Hursting Stone, or the Abbot's Chair.
You may also want to watch:
This glacial relic served many functions throughout the centuries, having been sculpted into a curious chair-shaped mass. Folklore has it that it in the Middle Ages it formed the base of a plinth that held an stone cross upright.
Open-air trials were also held here and so later it earned the name Abbot's Chair which stems from the belief that monks would sit in it and rest while travelling.
- 1 Life sentence for Huntingdon paedophile who abused seven girls
- 2 Royal Oak in Hail Weston named as the best pub in Cambridgeshire
- 3 Equipment worth £6,000 stolen from farm during overnight break-in
- 4 Road closure in Huntingdon over weekend of July 31
- 5 Huntingdon man found with stash of drugs and cash is jailed
- 6 Paedophile caught by cops after preying on 'teenage girls' online
- 7 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
- 8 First post-lockdown Parkrun in St Neots held in memory of four runners
- 9 Brampton's 'fantastic' village fete welcomes 4,000 revellers
- 10 St Ives woman who sold ecstasy to school children avoids jail
This antiquity now rests against a wall just outside the Norris Museum in St Ives and, according to the writer Daniel Codd, there is a belief that it is haunted. There is also a belief that if the stone should ever sink beneath the earth then the streets of Bluntisham would run red with blood!