Men who threatened shop workers with an axe are jailed
- Credit: CAMBS POLICE
Two men who threatened shop workers with an axe during an armed robbery have been jailed.
Adam Merkitt and Andrew Bluck travelled from Northampton to Hunts End, in Buckden, on November 9, 2019 and smashed their way into a store where they attempted to make off with lottery tickets and the till.
Just five hours later, at 6am, Merkitt apprehended the manager of a shop in Great North Road, Eaton Socon, while Bluck rounded up three others into a separate room demanding they ‘empty their pockets’.
A fifth member of staff, who was in a different room at the time they entered, escaped outside and called police.
The pair, who were wearing balaclavas, then dragged the manager to the safe and forced him to open it and they made off in a silver car with around £4,000.
You may also want to watch:
Merkitt and Bluck were tracked down to a hotel in Northampton after a member of the public provided a picture of the vehicle they were travelling in.
Officers investigating were able to match clothing found in the hotel with CCTV images from the robbery. They also found receipts which led them to a sports shop they went to after the robbery where they could be seen on CCTV wearing the clothing.
- 1 Police move in to close house after reports of anti-social behaviour
- 2 New garden village on outskirts of St Neots will bring 10,000 homes
- 3 Man named following fatal collision near Bluntisham
- 4 Jail for man who stole more than £25,000 from company
- 5 Vaccine centres offering earlier second dose AstraZeneca
- 6 Schoolgirl cuts her hair so friend can have a wig
- 7 Uber-style app could mean doorstep bus pick up
- 8 Mum's donation to thank 'incredible' midwives and maternity staff
- 9 Almost 100 'sexual and violent crimes' recorded in two of our towns in one month
- 10 Man jailed for sexual relationship with schoolgirl
Merkitt, 36, of Brookside, Great Paxton, pleaded guilty to robbery, burglary and theft of a motor vehicle. He was sentenced to five years and eight months in prison at Peterborough Crown Court on May 5.
Andrew Bluck, 37, of HMP Peterborough, pleaded guilty to burglary and two counts of robbery and was sentenced to three years and 10 months.
Detective Constable Kellymarie Harman, who investigated, said: “Merkitt and Bluck were so desperate for money that they were willing to go to extreme lengths to get it. This was a terrifying ordeal for all of the staff involved and it was lucky that no one was seriously harmed.
“I’d like to thank the staff for their support during the investigation and I hope they find satisfaction in the knowledge that this pair are going to be in prison for a long time.”
CCTV footage from the robbery can be found here - https://youtu.be/I2X_nKXTbNY