Banned driver rammed police car in bid to escape
- Credit: Cambs Police
Banned driver Darren Wheeler reacted to being caught behind the wheel by ramming the police car that tried to stop him.
Police signalled for him to pull over which he did.
However, as soon as an officer got out of their vehicle he sped off in the opposite direction.
Police managed to catch up in Star Road, Peterborough, but Wheeler put his car into reverse and rammed their vehicle.
He continued to drive erratically, at times into the path of oncoming traffic, and on the pavement.
You may also want to watch:
As a result, officers decided to pursue at a distance so not to put the public at further risk.
The tactic paid off as Wheeler saw it as an opportunity to abandon the car and make a run for it.
- 1 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 2 Man charged after knife found in St Neots police raid
- 3 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 4 Jail for 'despicable' burglary on 93-year-old man with dementia
- 5 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 6 St Neots schoolgirl takes on bike ride for Children in Need
- 7 Former Stevenage midfielder is the new manager of Eynesbury Rovers
- 8 Reflect on the 'rich tints of Autumn' at open gardens this weekend
- 9 Appeal for foster parents to come forward
- 10 Buckden celebrate first cup win in decades with home-grown squad
He was quickly arrested in Cavendish Street
Wheeler, 35, was first spotted swerving a Citroen C4 in Eastfield Road, Peterborough, on 9 August.
Wheeler, of Allexton Gardens, Peterborough, answered no comment in interview.
However, he has since pleaded guilty to dangerous driving and driving while disqualified.
On Wednesday (September 29) at Peterborough Crown Court, he was jailed for a year and disqualified from driving for a further two years on his release.
PC Matt Panks said: “The way Wheeler drove was completely irresponsible and it was only luck that nobody was badly injured. I’m pleased he was arrested before a serious collision took place and he has now been jailed.”