Royal Mail staff find 46 illegal packages in Cambridgeshire's postal system
- Credit: Cambridgeshire Constabulary
Police officers have found crack cocaine, spice, sleeping pills and a butterfly knife at a Cambridgeshire sorting office.
On a visit to Royal Mail's sorting office in Werrington, Peterborough on Thursday, July 7, Cambridgeshire officers recovered 46 packages which contained illegal items.
Royal Mail staff intercepted the packages as they made their way through the postal system.
A Cambridgeshire Constabulary spokesperson said: "If you're missing some post, we might just have it at Thorpe Wood Police Station in Peterborough.
"Officers attended the Royal Mail sorting office in Werrington on Thursday and the staff there intercepted 46 packages in June containing cannabis, cannabis edibles, crack cocaine, spice and a butterfly knife.
"Scotland, Wales and Lithuania were just some of the destinations the packages were going to."
Pictures from the police force show several boxes of Zopiclone sleeping medication, Pregabalin medication for people who suffer with nerve damage, and Temazepam.
These are all controlled substances in the UK because the government believes they are "especially addictive and harmful".
- 1 Unauthorised encampments across Cambs a 'tricky issue' says Police and Crime Commissioner
- 2 Police called to reports of violence in Huntingdon
- 3 Cyclist left with serious injuries after bus collision in St Ives
- 4 Drought officially declared in East Anglian region
- 5 Concerns about late-night noise if club is granted alcohol extension
- 6 Voi trial ‘confuses people’ about illegal e-scooters
- 7 Improved Ofsted rating for village primary school
- 8 No water relief for depleted rivers and reservoirs with another heatwave forecast
- 9 B1514 Brampton Road closure extended for Saturday
- 10 Planning proposal for a new café to be reviewed by St Neots Town Council
Pictures also show that one drugs stash was packaged in a black bin bag and placed in a Nike shoe box, and another substance was wrapped in foil and placed inside jars.