Cricket-mad couple’s love knows no boundary as they celebrate 60 years together
- Credit: Archant
A couple who met through their shared love of cricket are set to celebrate their 60th wedding anniversary.
Geoff and Joyce Hookham, of Kingsbrook, St Ives, were married on July 28, 1956, at St Ives Methodist Church.
The pair attended the same school and met when walking home with their friends, though their love didn’t start to blossom until the pair were in their teenage years.
“I was friendly with his sister and he sent me a note to see if I would go out with him. I was quite surprised when he asked but was quite happy to go along with it,” Joyce said.
Throughout their years of courtship, the couple used to meet up at cricket matches, with Joyce in charge of the scoreboard at Geoff’s games in St Ives.
You may also want to watch:
“I used to cycle to her games as she used to play for Fenstanton but she used to ignore me when I got there,” Geoff joked.
Despite giving up cricket the pair still have active lives, with Geoff playing bowls and Joyce involved in a number of organisations - including the St Ives Darby and Joan Club.
- 1 24 Hours in Police Custody: This is what happened to Alex Fitzpatrick
- 2 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 3 Market demand leads to a reduction in Alconbury homes
- 4 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 5 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 6 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 7 St Neots man loses 7 stone and raises £500 for charity
- 8 Road blocked due to crash involving a tractor on A14 near Godmanchester
- 9 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 10 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
The couple have five children, Phillip, Colin, Caroline, Nigel, and Martin. They also have 10 grandchildren and seven great-grandchildren.
Geoff believes that the secret to their long and happy marriage is “caring for each other. If you love somebody you just want the best for them”.
To celebrate their diamond anniversary the couple will renew their wedding vows and enjoy a party surrounded by friends and family.