Firefighters were called to the Old Bridge Hotel, in Huntingdon, after a fire started in a chimney this morning (Tuesday).

Watch commander from Huntingdon Fire Station, Stephan Fleming, said: “We were called as a precautionary measure because of the age of the building.

“The fire was started after staff lit the hotel's usual fire this morning which ignited a spark following high winds last night.”

Officers from Cambridgeshire police were called to the scene to stop traffic from entering or exiting Godmanchester via The Avenue.

Some of the building was closed off while crews from Huntingdon and Stanground dealt with the incident, but a spokesman for the Old Bridge said that the premises has since re-opened and that business had resumed as normal.