CRASH SCENE POLICE APPEAL: Sisters killed in road accident at Wisbech last night believed to come from Sutton Bridge
TWO sisters aged seven and 10- thought to be from Sutton Bridge- died last night after a car they were travelling in left the A47 and overturned in a ditch.
Police say a black Ford Focus left the road, ending up on its side at the edge of a ditch, near the junction with Broadend Road, between the Elme Hall and Lynn Road roundabouts at around 6.40pm.
Five people were travelling in the car, two adults and three children, who were all taken to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in King’s Lynn.
Two girls aged seven and 10, died in hospital from injuries sustained in the crash. Today police confirmed they were sisters.
A spokesman for the East of England Ambulance Service said: “Five ambulances, one air ambulance, plus clinical managers in rapid response cars attended the scene.
You may also want to watch:
“There were three adults and three children in the vehicle. Two children suffered serious traumatic head injuries. There was an attempted resuscitation at the scene of two children.”
Three other casualties - a boy of 12 and two adults - remain in hospital today, although their injuries are not believed to be serious.
- 1 Station hub will "breathe new life" into Huntingdon
- 2 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 3 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 4 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 5 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 6 Gym members raise funds for children with cancer
- 7 How well do you know Huntingdon?
- 8 Take a sneaky peak inside the new Di Rita's at No2 restaurant in St Ives
- 9 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 10 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
The road was closed in both directions for several hours and was re-opened shortly before 10.30pm.
Police would like to hear from anyone who may have witnessed the incident or has information concerning it.
Witnesses should contact Sgt Peter Howlett at Swaffham Roads Policing on 101.
*In a second accident at Wicken near Ely a man in his 20s sustained life threatening injuries