Councillor who lost seven stone after heart attack is determined to make most of second chance
- Credit: Archant
A county councillor from Warboys says he has been given a “second chance” after suffering a heart attack.
Cllr Mike Tew, UKIP councillor for Warboys and Upwood, has turned his life around by losing seven stone in just 10 months following a devastating heart attack.
And Cllr Tew, chairman of the council’s adults committee, now wants to inspire others by sharing a message that it is never too late to live a healthier lifestyle.
Last year Cllr Tew who has Type 2 diabetes had a heart attack which led him to rethink his lifestyle and take steps to gain control of his weight.
He said: “The heart attack was a real wake up call, it was a moment that made me realise that how you behave can mean life and death.
“The doctors at Papworth Hospital were very clear that it was more than likely that my lifestyle and excess weight had caused my heart attack and could cause another. It was at that point I decided that I needed to make a change to live a healthier life.
“Before my heart attack, I wasn’t very active, so I started off by walking around the block, pushing myself a bit further each time. I also used to drink a lot of fizzy drinks several times a day, which were high in sugar. I decided to cut them out and drink just water and eat a balanced diet, cutting out foods with any added sugar.”
- 1 MBR Acres releases image of graffiti message
- 2 Pictures show dramatic skies over Huntingdonshire and the Fens
- 3 Work starts on affordable 56-home development in Huntingdon
- 4 White roses and political history in Huntingdonshire
- 5 80th birthday celebrations for the East's longest-serving lollipop lady
- 6 RSPCA investigating 'welfare of beagles' at Huntingdon dog breeding unit
- 7 Huntingdon thief jailed after stealing watch, iPod and iPhone from vehicles
- 8 Beer from Lidl and vegan chocolates among items recalled over safety fears
- 9 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 10 Met Office weather: Yellow storm and flood warning for East of England
“With these simple changes, I have now lost around seven stone and my doctors say I’ve reduced the risk of having a heart attack. I now enjoy a greater range of foods and as a treat, I now have just a couple of pieces of chocolate every evening.
“I now have a second chance to spread the word that simple changes in your diet can be life changing and have a real and positive impact on your health.” Following his dramatic weight loss Councillor has on medical advice. stopped taking the medication that he used to help manage his diabetes.