Councillor who lost seven stone after heart attack is determined to make most of second chance
- Credit: Archant
A county councillor from Warboys says he has been given a “second chance” after suffering a heart attack.
Cllr Mike Tew, UKIP councillor for Warboys and Upwood, has turned his life around by losing seven stone in just 10 months following a devastating heart attack.
And Cllr Tew, chairman of the council’s adults committee, now wants to inspire others by sharing a message that it is never too late to live a healthier lifestyle.
Last year Cllr Tew who has Type 2 diabetes had a heart attack which led him to rethink his lifestyle and take steps to gain control of his weight.
He said: “The heart attack was a real wake up call, it was a moment that made me realise that how you behave can mean life and death.
You may also want to watch:
“The doctors at Papworth Hospital were very clear that it was more than likely that my lifestyle and excess weight had caused my heart attack and could cause another. It was at that point I decided that I needed to make a change to live a healthier life.
“Before my heart attack, I wasn’t very active, so I started off by walking around the block, pushing myself a bit further each time. I also used to drink a lot of fizzy drinks several times a day, which were high in sugar. I decided to cut them out and drink just water and eat a balanced diet, cutting out foods with any added sugar.”
- 1 24 Hours in Police Custody: This is what happened to Alex Fitzpatrick
- 2 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 3 St Neots man loses 7 stone and raises £500 for charity
- 4 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 5 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 6 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 7 Market demand leads to a reduction in Alconbury homes
- 8 Road blocked due to crash involving a tractor on A14 near Godmanchester
- 9 Pedestrian seriously injured in Papworth bypass crash near St Ives
- 10 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
“With these simple changes, I have now lost around seven stone and my doctors say I’ve reduced the risk of having a heart attack. I now enjoy a greater range of foods and as a treat, I now have just a couple of pieces of chocolate every evening.
“I now have a second chance to spread the word that simple changes in your diet can be life changing and have a real and positive impact on your health.” Following his dramatic weight loss Councillor has on medical advice. stopped taking the medication that he used to help manage his diabetes.