Concerts in memory of former St Ives headteacher
- Credit: Archant
A bursary for St Ives musicians will be launched next month at two tribute concerts in memory of former headteacher Tony Burgess.
ACE, the Friends of the St Ives Corn Exchange, is hosting the concerts at 3pm and 7pm on November 3 in honour of its first chairman Mr Burgess, who died on September 28 last year aged 66 after a long illness.
Mr Burgess, an accomplished musician who was also head of Westfield School, was at the forefront of the action group’s campaign to save the Corn Exchange from being sold and to have it reinstated as a community building.
The concerts will include performances from people who were connected with Mr Burgess through his roles in ACE, Westfield School and other organisations he was part of in St Ives.
Full details of the Tony Burgess Bursary will also be released at the concert, with the money raised through ticket sales being added to the bursary.
You may also want to watch:
Gilly Jackson, ACE trustee and friend of Mr Burgess, said: “Tony was key to keeping the building open so it was very important that ACE organised a concert for him there.
“The performers mostly have a connection with him. We have some former pupils coming and I think current pupils at Westfield School, where he was a headteacher, are also performing.
- 1 Take a sneaky peak inside the new Di Rita's at No2 restaurant in St Ives
- 2 Numerous Huntingdon High Street shops shut due to flooding
- 3 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 4 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 5 Drink driver arrested in Brampton for being four times over the legal limit
- 6 Station hub will "breathe new life" into Huntingdon
- 7 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 8 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 9 Diners at St Ives pub help raise £8k for hospitality charity
- 10 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
“It’s vital that people who had an association with him have the chance to pay their respects to Tony and all he achieved in the town.”
As well as fundraising £50,000 while a governor at St Ivo School, Mr Burgess helped set up the St Ives Book Jam in 2011 – the children’s book fair – which is now being copied by several other towns.
The Corn Exchange is also paying tribute to Tony Akers, a former ACE member who died last year, with a quiz on Saturday night, which has already sold out.
INFORMATION: Concert tickets are £5, from the St Ives Corn Exchange. Call 01480 496454 or visit the website www.ticketsource.co.uk/stivescornexchange