Compromise over bar opening hours is backed by councillors
- Credit: Archant
A compromise over extended opening hours for a hall in Huntingdon, formerly used by Masonic lodges, has been agreed by councillors.
At a meeting of the development management panel for Huntingdonshire District Council on Monday (March 14) it was agreed to grant Abdus Subhan, owner of The Priory, in High Street, permission to extend the opening hours of the bar.
Mr Subhan was originally granted planning permission in August last year to convert the Priory into a café/bar with a function room, with permission also granted for a bar to be open from 5-11pm Monday to Saturday, and 4-10pm on Sunday.
However, in October, a fresh planning application was submitted by Mr Subhan requesting alterations to the conditions granted in August.
Under the plans, it was requested that the bar be allowed to operate from 11am-midnight from Sunday to Thursday, and 11am-2am on Friday and Saturday.
You may also want to watch:
It was also requested that music be allowed to play throughout licensing hours and that a recycling and refuse area within the boundary of the property be allowed for waste disposal.
However, the plans brought a series of objections from neighbours of the hall and, in response, Mr Subhan offered a compromise, offering to change the bar opening hours from 11am-midnight from Monday to Saturday, and 11am-11pm on Sunday.
- 1 Numerous Huntingdon High Street shops shut due to flooding
- 2 Take a sneaky peak inside the new Di Rita's at No2 restaurant in St Ives
- 3 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 4 Drink driver arrested in Brampton for being four times over the legal limit
- 5 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 6 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 7 Man who burgled his own father’s home is sentenced
- 8 Diners at St Ives pub help raise £8k for hospitality charity
- 9 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 10 Station hub will "breathe new life" into Huntingdon
On Monday, councillors agreed the offer of a compromise, clearing the way for the Priory to open.
Up until May last year the building was used as a meeting room for Huntingdon’s Masonic lodges, which have since moved to the Ermine Business Park.