Collision outside Somersham’s new Tesco Express
ANTI-Tesco campaigners’ worst fears were realised in Somersham on Thursday following a collision outside the village’s new Express store.
The crash happened outside the controversial new convenience store less than a week after it opened its doors for the first time.
Opponents have long claimed that customers visiting the store would bring increased traffic and congestion to the High Street.
Witnesses told The Hunts Post that a lorry, which was not a Tesco vehicle, reversed into a grey BMW waiting to turn into the Tesco Express car park. The car then collided with a hair salon located next to the car park entrance. Some damage was caused to the hair salon but nobody inside was injured. The elderly male driver of the BMW was treated by paramedics for shock.
Alison Santos, who campaigned against Tesco opening a store in the village, said: “The most important thing is that nobody was seriously hurt.
“People are saying that it was nothing to do with Tesco but from the start one of our main arguments was that the increase of traffic in the village could cause a problem. We were assured that all the relevant surveys had been carried out and that it was safe.
“The fact is an accident has happened. It’s a shame and maybe we have just been lucky for a long time but road safety was a big concern.”
- 1 Small community café in St Neots "just hanging on"
- 2 New Toolstation branch to open in Huntingdon
- 3 Police dog helped find drugs and knife in Ramsey
- 4 Find out what's happening in Huntingdonshire for the Queen's Jubilee?
- 5 Come and see Huntingdon's Beacon lighting ceremony for the Jubilee
- 6 St Neots Street Food Fest promises to be "bigger and better"
- 7 Great honour for two men awarded the freedom of Huntingdon
- 8 Large Hotel of the Year winner is proud of its history
- 9 The latest Readers' Photos sent to the Hunts Post this week
- 10 Three dogs including pregnant Jack Russell stolen from Wimpole kennels
Cambridgeshire police confirmed that they were called to High Street, Somersham, at 2.47pm to reports of a crash involving a grey BMW.