Collision outside Somersham’s new Tesco Express
ANTI-Tesco campaigners’ worst fears were realised in Somersham on Thursday following a collision outside the village’s new Express store.
The crash happened outside the controversial new convenience store less than a week after it opened its doors for the first time.
Opponents have long claimed that customers visiting the store would bring increased traffic and congestion to the High Street.
Witnesses told The Hunts Post that a lorry, which was not a Tesco vehicle, reversed into a grey BMW waiting to turn into the Tesco Express car park. The car then collided with a hair salon located next to the car park entrance. Some damage was caused to the hair salon but nobody inside was injured. The elderly male driver of the BMW was treated by paramedics for shock.
Alison Santos, who campaigned against Tesco opening a store in the village, said: “The most important thing is that nobody was seriously hurt.
You may also want to watch:
“People are saying that it was nothing to do with Tesco but from the start one of our main arguments was that the increase of traffic in the village could cause a problem. We were assured that all the relevant surveys had been carried out and that it was safe.
“The fact is an accident has happened. It’s a shame and maybe we have just been lucky for a long time but road safety was a big concern.”
- 1 Station hub will "breathe new life" into Huntingdon
- 2 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 3 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 4 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 5 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 6 Gym members raise funds for children with cancer
- 7 How well do you know Huntingdon?
- 8 Take a sneaky peak inside the new Di Rita's at No2 restaurant in St Ives
- 9 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 10 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
Cambridgeshire police confirmed that they were called to High Street, Somersham, at 2.47pm to reports of a crash involving a grey BMW.