Classic mini that has been lovingly restored to former glory set to go under the hammer
- Credit: Archant
A classic mini that has been lovingly restored by a St Ives company will go up for auction next week to raise funds for Prostate Cancer UK.
The red 1969 Morris Mini Super Deluxe, affectionately known as Margo, will go under the hammer thanks to the work of Lancaster Insurance and the MG Owners Club.
Margo was bought by her first owner, Millie Properjohns, and kept in Dartford. Mrs Properjohns drove the beloved Super Deluxe until she was 98-years-old.
The car was eventually inherited by Mrs Properjohns’ daughter, Joan, when Millie died six weeks after her 100th birthday, in 2004.
When a team from Lancaster, a classic car insurance specialist, found Margo, in 2015, she was in a garage in East Sussex.
You may also want to watch:
It was discovered she had only covered 33,000 miles in 46 years - with trips to the local shops being her only major destination, with the odd journey across Sussex and Kent to collect Mrs Properjohn’s grandchildren for holidays.
Richard Morley, operations director for Lancaster Insurance, said: “When we embarked on this restoration journey it was important to us to make sure the work was carried out by a local company and one we had a close relationship with.”
- 1 Numerous Huntingdon High Street shops shut due to flooding
- 2 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 3 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 4 Man who burgled his own father’s home is sentenced
- 5 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 6 Axe seized and two people charged for drink driving in St Ives
- 7 'Trolley waits' hit high for trust that oversees Hinchingbrooke Hospital
- 8 Man charged after knife found in St Neots police raid
- 9 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 10 Diners at St Ives pub help raise £8k for hospitality charity
After donations from people around the country, Margo has been restored to her original condition with a gleaming Tartan Red paint job and a host of new body parts.
“The finish is absolutely incredible and the new owner is in for a gem. We’re now looking forward to the auction and raising as much as we can for Prostate Cancer UK,” added Mr Morley.
Margo will be auctioned at the Lancaster Insurance Classic Motor Show at Birmingham NEC on Saturday to raise funds for Prostate Cancer UK.