Cinema complex in St Neots will not be opening on Valentine’s Day
- Credit: Archant
Film-lovers could be left heartbroken at news that the new £8million cinema complex in St Neots will not be opening on Valentine’s Day.
The Rowley Arts Centre, which will include the restaurants Frankie & Benny’s, Chimichanga and Pizza Express, had been expected to open on February 14 but the date has again been put back.
A Cineworld spokesman told The Hunts Post: “We are looking at the middle of May for opening.”
The restaurants in the complex are expected to open at the same time. A spokesman for Pizza Express said: “We’re looking forward to opening and are progressing in line with the cinema.”
But there is good news as the long-awaited jobs boost promised by the complex will soon begin, with Cineworld expecting to start recruiting for its six-screen cinema next month.
You may also want to watch:
Between 150 and 175 part-time and full-time roles are expected to be created by the project.
Keith Prentice, planning chairman at St Neots Town Council, said: “The delay is unfortunate.
- 1 House application rejected as loss of St Neots pub would be 'harmful'
- 2 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 3 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
- 4 Memorial stone for Cambridge student laid hidden in undergrowth for 80 years
- 5 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 6 Three people arrested in Somersham after stash of Cannabis found in car
- 7 Emergency services close St Neots road after medical emergency
- 8 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 9 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 10 St Neots man loses 7 stone and raises £500 for charity
“However the cinema is something that the town clearly wants in most cases. I do think it will be worth the wait and will obviously be an asset to the town.”
The five-acre arts complex in Huntingdon Street, which includes space for theatre groups to perform, was originally expected to open last September, but its opening was put back after part of the development had to be dismantled and rebuilt.
The building was originally constructed in the wrong place – about 70cm (30 inches) too close to neighbouring homes.
Work on the site, which began in November 2012, was stopped following complaints about the location of the work from residents in East Street whose homes back on to the site. Developer Turnstone Estates, ordered builders to start over and comply with the plans.