Cigarette starts St Neots pub fire

A DISCARDED cigarette started a fire at a well known St Neots pub yesterday (Monday).

A DISCARDED cigarette started a fire at a well known St Neots pub yesterday (Monday).

Crews from St Neots and Papworth attended The Priory on the Market Square at around 4.35pm, after receiving numerous 999 calls.

They arrived to find the front of the pub was on fire, with smoke and flames visible from the road.

After tackling the fire with hose reel and CO2 extinguishers, they had to cut away sections of the fascia of the building to ensure that the fire had not spread. The electricity board were called to isolate the electrics.


You may also want to watch:


The cause of the fire was accidental and caused by a cigarette.

Jon Paul Jones, watch manager at St Neots Fire Station, said: “Always make sure your cigarette is fully extinguished, and discard of it properly in an ashtray or bucket of water or sand.

Most Read

“Even if you think it is out, a cigarette can easily be hot enough to start a fire if not disposed of properly.”

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus