Christmas Message: Huntingdon MP Jonathan Djanogly
- Credit: Archant
MP for Huntingdon Jonathan Djanogly issues a Christmas message to people in the area.
Politically speaking, this has been a difficult year with deadlock in Parliament over how best to proceed with Brexit, leading to uncertainty for business and investment.
December was never going to be a pleasant month for general election campaigning - but it was necessary given the circumstances. In the event, Prime Minister Boris Johnson's decision was a good one and the resulting parliament now contains a substantial Conservative majority.
This should enable us to quickly effect Brexit, adopt the 'Boris deal' and then move on to sorting out future trade deals with the EU and other allies, such as the US.
But, as important, the majority will enable us to sort out the complicated structural reforms that have been put to one side for too long. Things like pensions, elderly care, tax and constitutional reform all come to mind. These are reforms that will make a real difference and we must take this great opportunity to move the UK forward.
You may also want to watch:
I wish all readers a very happy Christmas and successful 2020.
- 1 Numerous Huntingdon High Street shops shut due to flooding
- 2 Take a sneaky peak inside the new Di Rita's at No2 restaurant in St Ives
- 3 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 4 Drink driver arrested in Brampton for being four times over the legal limit
- 5 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 6 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 7 Man who burgled his own father’s home is sentenced
- 8 Diners at St Ives pub help raise £8k for hospitality charity
- 9 Station hub will "breathe new life" into Huntingdon
- 10 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'