Cats die in Wyton home fire
TWO cats were killed and one person taken to hospital during a mobile home fire in Wyton.
Firefighters from Huntingdon and St Ives attended the blaze in Blenheim Court around 4.40pm on Wednesday, January 5. They took almost two hours to put out the flames.
The cats were rescued from the home by firefighters but later died. The occupier was taken to hospital but is not thought to have serious injuries.
It is thought the fire, which caused substantial damage to the home, was started accidentally by a halogen lamp.
Firefighting crews remained on scene until 9pm and one crew returned overnight to check for hot spots.
You may also want to watch:
Paul Clarke, station manager for Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service said: “The best thing you can do to protect your home from fire is to ensure you have a working smoke alarm fitted, as this will give you extra moments to escape and call the fire service.
“To avoid accidental fires you should ensure appliances such as dishwashers and washing machines are not left on when you are not at home, and never leave appliances plugged in when they are not in use, unless they are designed to be, like refrigerators.”
- 1 Driver of fully laden HGV who failed breath test 'couldn't stand up unaided'
- 2 Super slimmer who lost one third of her body weight crowned woman of year
- 3 It's snowing! Send us your snow photos
- 4 Covid-19 numbers in Fenland higher than rest of county
- 5 Hunts police called to 'numerous breaches' of covid regulations
- 6 Complaints as elderly people wait in freezing conditions for vaccine
- 7 Chief executive takes 'personal oversight' of inquiry into deputy leader's farm tenancy
- 8 Two weeks left to respond to proposed flight path over Huntingdonshire
- 9 Villagers call for action after 'worst floods in years'
- 10 Pair jailed after drugs and cash worth £184k seized in 'peaceful' village