TWO cats were killed and one person taken to hospital during a mobile home fire in Wyton.
Firefighters from Huntingdon and St Ives attended the blaze in Blenheim Court around 4.40pm on Wednesday, January 5. They took almost two hours to put out the flames.
The cats were rescued from the home by firefighters but later died. The occupier was taken to hospital but is not thought to have serious injuries.
It is thought the fire, which caused substantial damage to the home, was started accidentally by a halogen lamp.
Firefighting crews remained on scene until 9pm and one crew returned overnight to check for hot spots.
Paul Clarke, station manager for Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service said: “The best thing you can do to protect your home from fire is to ensure you have a working smoke alarm fitted, as this will give you extra moments to escape and call the fire service.
“To avoid accidental fires you should ensure appliances such as dishwashers and washing machines are not left on when you are not at home, and never leave appliances plugged in when they are not in use, unless they are designed to be, like refrigerators.”