Cat’s suspected tumour turns out to be a blade of grass
- Credit: Archant
A ‘for-lawn’ feline with an undiagnosed illness was operated on by some of the UK’s leading vets only to discover a blade of grass stuck in her nose.
Wood Green, The Animals Charity, has been looking after six-year-old British Blue cat Pixie, who came to the Godmanchester centre at the start of October last year when she soon stole the hearts of the charity’s cat section staff.
She came with a history of sneezing and in the days and weeks that followed the charity became more and more concerned about her health.
Pixie suffered intermittent nose bleeds and was originally treated for cat flu. However, when her symptoms continued, Wood Green vets investigated further, discovering a nasal lump, which staff feared was a sign of cancer.
Exploratory surgery proved inconclusive, so the charity took the decision to send Pixie to leading experts at the Animal Health Trust in Suffolk.
On December 30, she had a CT scan, which revealed the lump in her nose was actually tissue growing over an ingested blade of grass, and on New Year’s Eve she had the offending flora removed.
A fully-fit Pixie is now looking forward to a much brighter new year and has since been rehomed.
- 1 Planning proposal for a new café to be reviewed by St Neots Town Council
- 2 No water relief for depleted rivers and reservoirs with another heatwave forecast
- 3 'Risk of injury' - Aldi recalls product due to safety fears
- 4 Fire safety warning as Met Office warns second heatwave on way
- 5 Joyce proudly shows off her 100th birthday card from the Queen
- 6 Family pay tribute to 'hard worker' father killed in A14 crash
- 7 Biggest 'shooting star' meteor shower to peak this week
- 8 Little Gransden Air and Car Show to celebrate 30 years of fundraising for children in need
- 9 War-time crash crew take on street names in Godmanchester
- 10 Dancers Jive, tango and have fun at the Illumination Dance Masquerade Ball
However, Wood Green says Pixie’s case highlights the importance of getting your pet insured, with her medical costs having totalled nearly £2,000.
Jane Harrup, deputy manager of cat welfare at Wood Green, said: “It seems like such a simple problem – a cat eating a blade of grass – but when it was undiagnosed it turned into something much more extensive and frightening.
“Pixie’s story has been a real eye-opener for us, we were so upset because it really looked like a tumour – thank goodness for CT scans!”
She added: “Her story is such a pertinent reminder of why we need to make sure pets are insured.
“Luckily, Wood Green was able to cover her expensive hi-tech scans and her operation, for something that thankfully ended up being less malignant than we feared – but the condition was still painful and unpleasant for Pixie.
“We are absolutely thrilled she has been patched up and has finally been able to go home with her adoring new owners – and, like all Wood Green animals, she has left us with some insurance cover.”