Canberra Gate Guardian at RAF Wyton given makeover
- Credit: Archant
GLEAMING AGAIN: RAF Wyton’s Gate Guardian – a PR9 Canberra – has been restored to its former glory after standing outside the base for more than 30 years.
The plane was restored by the 57 (Reserve) Squadron after a decision was made to keep the Canberra rather than have it scrapped, such was the state of the aircraft.
Wing Commander Mike Brown, commanding officer at RAF Wyton, who helped with some of the painting, said: “It has been evident for many years now that care and maintenance of the Canberra had been overlooked and something clearly had to be done.
“The Canberra has been an iconic feature of RAF Wyton for many years. Its photographic reconnaissance role was an invaluable contribution to Defence Intelligence and it is still a valid representation of the unit’s function today.”
In March, under the direction of Squadron Leader Dave Piper, staff and students of 57 (Reserve) Squadron rolled up their sleeves and got to work, taking three months to complete the project – mainly because of delays caused by the British weather.
You may also want to watch:
Along with some help from local companies and others based at RAF Wyton, including Andy Bedgood of Babcock Aerospace, the Canberra is expected to be the base’s guardian for many more years to come.
Squadron Ldr Piper, who is credited with making the final landing of a Canberra in RAF service, said: “I am proud to have played a part in its history and even prouder that the staff and students of 57 (Reserve) Squadron deemed it appropriate to have my name inscribed below the cockpit.”
- 1 Numerous Huntingdon High Street shops shut due to flooding
- 2 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 3 Man who burgled his own father’s home is sentenced
- 4 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 5 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 6 Axe seized and two people charged for drink driving in St Ives
- 7 'Trolley waits' hit high for trust that oversees Hinchingbrooke Hospital
- 8 Man charged after knife found in St Neots police raid
- 9 Diners at St Ives pub help raise £8k for hospitality charity
- 10 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens