Campaign begins to restore roof of war-era training hall
- Credit: Archant
A mission has begun to revamp the roof of a hall where soldiers once practiced military drills.
The 1940s camp, in Wood Lane, Ramsey, boasts a drill hall dating back to 1939 but after “standing the test of time” the facility needs thousands of pounds for a new roof.
Ramsey 1940s weekend event organiser, Jayne Mann said: “At the moment it takes a torrential downpour for it to leak but when we have normal rain it gets a couple of drops.
“Eventually it will become worse and over time it is something we have got to do.”
For a new roof to be put on and works to be completed, the committee at the camp estimate they will need to raise £23,000.
You may also want to watch:
“We are looking for anybody that wants to sponsor towards the roof. We started off raising money at the 1940s weekend with the emergency supplies stall that raised £600,” said Jayne.
The work will include a whole new roof along with asbestos removed from the existing roof.
- 1 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 2 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 3 Volunteers needed to support booster jabs programme
- 4 Appeal to Transport Secretary over Huntingdon Rail Station plan
- 5 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
- 6 'Plague' of flies in Huntingdonshire villages
- 7 Huntingdonshire parks awarded Green Flag status
- 8 Lisa Leader makes it to Germany for life prolonging treatment
- 9 Axe-wielding burglar smashed way into St Neots house
- 10 Man dies after single-car crash near Godmanchester
“At the moment it is structurally safe, but it is just leaking over time and it is going to get quite a bit worse. In the interim we have thought about putting tarpaulin over it until something can be done.”
To reach its total, the Ramsey 1940s committee will be running events and continuing to hire out the hall to add to the fundraising pot.
The hall is regularly hired out for events throughout the year and is also home of Ramsey Dog Club.
To help with the fundraising mission call Jayne Mann on 07881 730047.