CAMBS: Woman raped yards from her sleeping children
- Credit: Archant
A MAN who raped a woman just yards away from her sleeping children has been jailed.
Phillip Evans, 33, attacked the 26-year-old at a hostel in Peterborough after following her back to her room in the early hours of December 26, last year.
Evans pushed the her onto the bed before raping the woman, who did not call for help as she did not want her children to see what was happening.
She called her boyfriend after Evans had left and they contacted police.
Evans denied rape but was convicted following a trial at Peterborough Crown Court and sentenced today (July 12) to five and a half years in prison.
You may also want to watch:
Detective Constable Louise Spinks said: “This was a horrific attack where Evans raped his victim while her young children were sleeping nearby.
“She told police she felt unable to call for help because she did not want her children to witness what was happening to her.
- 1 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 2 Man charged after knife found in St Neots police raid
- 3 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 4 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 5 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
- 6 Volunteers needed to support booster jabs programme
- 7 'Plague' of flies in Huntingdonshire villages
- 8 Appeal to Transport Secretary over Huntingdon Rail Station plan
- 9 Man dies after single-car crash near Godmanchester
- 10 Axe-wielding burglar smashed way into St Neots house
“Evans’ actions on the night show he is clearly a danger to women and we are pleased he has been brought to justice.”
Evans had already admitted two counts of criminal damage and assault from a separate incident earlier that night before denying the rape charge.
He was given five years for rape and a further six month sentence for the criminal damage and assault.