CAMBS: Woman raped yards from her sleeping children
- Credit: Archant
A MAN who raped a woman just yards away from her sleeping children has been jailed.
Phillip Evans, 33, attacked the 26-year-old at a hostel in Peterborough after following her back to her room in the early hours of December 26, last year.
Evans pushed the her onto the bed before raping the woman, who did not call for help as she did not want her children to see what was happening.
She called her boyfriend after Evans had left and they contacted police.
Evans denied rape but was convicted following a trial at Peterborough Crown Court and sentenced today (July 12) to five and a half years in prison.
Detective Constable Louise Spinks said: “This was a horrific attack where Evans raped his victim while her young children were sleeping nearby.
“She told police she felt unable to call for help because she did not want her children to witness what was happening to her.
- 1 Outdoor inflatable water park returns to Huntingdonshire
- 2 Jail for man who boasted he was the St Ives 'weed man'
- 3 Woman has 'medical episode' during A1(M) crash
- 4 Huntingdon and Peterborough hospitals bring back masks after rise in Covid numbers
- 5 13-year-old helped to rescue distressed paddleboarders
- 6 Police searching for missing man discover body
- 7 Thousands come together at RAF Wyton for Armed Forces Day
- 8 Man fined £300 after being linked to fly-tipping
- 9 John Major's 'bad luck' comment is 'absolutely disgraceful' says son of victim
- 10 Two-day closure set for B661 between Great Staughton and Grafham Water
“Evans’ actions on the night show he is clearly a danger to women and we are pleased he has been brought to justice.”
Evans had already admitted two counts of criminal damage and assault from a separate incident earlier that night before denying the rape charge.
He was given five years for rape and a further six month sentence for the criminal damage and assault.