CAMBS: Woman raped yards from her sleeping children
- Credit: Archant
A MAN who raped a woman just yards away from her sleeping children has been jailed.
Phillip Evans, 33, attacked the 26-year-old at a hostel in Peterborough after following her back to her room in the early hours of December 26, last year.
Evans pushed the her onto the bed before raping the woman, who did not call for help as she did not want her children to see what was happening.
She called her boyfriend after Evans had left and they contacted police.
Evans denied rape but was convicted following a trial at Peterborough Crown Court and sentenced today (July 12) to five and a half years in prison.
Detective Constable Louise Spinks said: “This was a horrific attack where Evans raped his victim while her young children were sleeping nearby.
“She told police she felt unable to call for help because she did not want her children to witness what was happening to her.
- 1 Historic Huntingdon building on the market for nearly £500k
- 2 'Our inspiration' - Baby born four months early survives fight for life
- 3 Fatal crash blocks A1M in Cambridgeshire
- 4 Garage demolition opponents set up Facebook group
- 5 Huntingdon bookshop gets share of £2m online profits
- 6 Universal credit households to receive £20 for rising living costs
- 7 Old Bailey trial begins of Rikki Neave murder suspect
- 8 He strangled Rikki, stripped him and left his body flat on his back, Old Bailey told
- 9 Four doctors and a nurse off sick with Covid-19 at Fenland surgeries
- 10 Will Young talks about handcuffing himself to the Camp Beagle gates
“Evans’ actions on the night show he is clearly a danger to women and we are pleased he has been brought to justice.”
Evans had already admitted two counts of criminal damage and assault from a separate incident earlier that night before denying the rape charge.
He was given five years for rape and a further six month sentence for the criminal damage and assault.