CAMBS: Thug who blinded man in unprovoked attacked given six years in jail
A YOB who blinded a man in an unprovoked attack has been jailed for six years.
Michael Mayo, 21, was arguing with his girlfriend Jodie Jex in Goldhay Way, Peterborough, when David Strong walked past with his friends in the early hours of November 8.
Mayo turned on the 52-year-old and punched and kicked him to the ground. In the attack, Mayo, of Caradale, Orton Brimbles, gouged Mr Strong’s eye - blinding him.
Jex, 20, of Belsize Avenue, Woodston, attacked a 23-year-old woman who tried to protect Mr Strong.
Mayo admitted causing grievous bodily harm but denied doing so with intent, but he was was convicted following a trial.
He was jailed for six years at Peterborough Crown Court on Wednesday (July 25).
His girlfriend Jex was also jailed for 14 months after admitting affray on the attack on Mr Strong’s friend.
- 1 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 2 MBR Acres releases image of graffiti message
- 3 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
- 4 Huntingdon thief jailed after stealing watch, iPod and iPhone from vehicles
- 5 Cambridgeshire zoo 'devastated' following death of white Bengal tiger
- 6 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 7 Food delivery robots taking to streets of Cambridgeshire
- 8 Pictures show dramatic skies over Huntingdonshire and the Fens
- 9 Work starts on affordable 56-home development in Huntingdon
- 10 Newly elected mayor and deputy mayor of St Neots announced
Mr Strong died from an unrelated condition in December last year.
Detective Sergeant David Liddle said: “This was a nasty, unprovoked attack in which a man was set upon and badly beaten causing terrible injuries to his eye.
“We’re pleased the court has reflected the severity of the attack in the sentence.
“It is sad that Mr Strong was not able to see justice done.”