CAMBS: Teenager convicted of homeless man’s murder in Cambridge

TEENAGER Jack Robinson, 18, has been found guilty of murdering homeless man Raymond Boyle on Jesus Green, Cambridge.

A jury at Cambridge Crown Court this afternoon unanimously found Robinson guilty of murdering Mr Boyle in the early hours of June 22.

Robinson, of no fixed address, stamped on the 52-year-old’s head before dragging him into the River Cam.

He then casually walked back with his friend Daniel Mynott, also 18, to Mr Mynott’s home in Haviland Way, Arbury.

Robinson, who will be sentenced next month, even discarded his jumper on the way and is thought to have later swapped the laces of his trainers as he was worried forensics from his clothing may link him to the murder.

Mr Boyle’s body was discovered faced down in the River Cam by Jesus lock shortly after 2am and Robinson was arrested later that day.

He admitted assaulting Mr Boyle but denied dragging him into the water.

Most Read

The jury at the Cambridge court heard how his account changed many times during police interview and later in court.

Mr Mynott had gone to Jesus Green with Robinson on the evening of June 21 to drink.

He was charged with causing grievous bodily harm with intent to Mr Boyle.

The jury, however, today unanimously cleared him of this charge and a lesser one of grievous bodily harm.

Judge Anthony Bate said the “utmost of care” must be taken before considering Robinson’s sentence and asked for pre-sentence reports to be completed prior to his sentencing.

Robinson showed no emotion when the verdict was read out but later shook his head.

Detective Chief Inspector George Barr, who led the investigation, said: “This was a savage, unprovoked attack on a defenceless man.

“Robinson was involved in the attack which had been fuelled by alcohol, and was seen kicking and stamping on Mr Boyle while he lay on the floor.

“That assault was bad enough, but for Robinson to drag him, barely conscious, into the water where he stood no chance of survival, was sickening.

“While nothing can stop the hurt felt by Mr Boyle’s family, I hope today’s conviction will bring them some comfort as they look to re-build their lives without him.”

A family statement from Mr Boyle’s partner of 22 years, Carole, and his eldest daughter Toni, read: “Ray was a successful man, working hard over the years at a printing firm in Rochdale, Lancashire, being promoted to supervisor.

“His home was in Lancashire and he spent a lot of time and effort building and decorating, ensuring it was fit for his family.

“In his spare time he enjoyed fishing.

“His only demon was drink; which stemmed from a difficult childhood.

“There were long periods where Ray was recovering but would turn to drink when he was under pressure. He was never violent but when he had a relapse, he would leave home and stay with friends until he had recovered and could return to his family.

“On two occasions he found himself living on the streets for a short time as a result of his drinking. Sadly, the second time ended with his brutal and untimely death.

“Ray was a kind and considerate man whose main focus was his family and partner Carole. Even when apart from his family he would send cards to Carole remembering anniversaries or Valentine’s Day.

“He was a father to three girls and a proud grandfather, but never got the chance to meet his third grandchild who was born last month.

“He was deeply loved by everyone who was part of his life and will be greatly missed by all his family and friends.”

Both Mr Boyle and Carole each had two children from previous relationships and one daughter together.