CAMBS: Norovirus outbreak affects eight wards in Addenbrooke’s Hospital
AN OUTBREAK of the norovirus at Addenbrooke’s Hospital in Cambridge has led to the closure of four wards and affected a further four.
The emergence of the virulent diarrhoea and vomiting bug has seen visitors barred from the four closed wards in a bid to curtail the infection with a further four wards partially closing to the public.
Hospital bosses say they are reviewing the situation on a daily basis however visiting hours to all adult wards are restricted to 3pm to 5pm and 7pm to 8pm in order to prevent the bug from spreading.
Only two adult visitors per patient are allowed at any one time and children are not allowed to enter wards unless there are exceptional circumstances.
Those planning to visit a friend or relative in hospital are asked to ring 01223 245151 to check if a ward is affected before arriving at the hospital.
You may also want to watch:
Deputy chief nurse at Addenbrooke’s Lisa Knight said: “We hope people understand that the reason we are putting these restrictions in place is to help protect our patients by stopping the spread of this virus.
“The best treatment for the virus is to rest at home and drink plenty of fluids. In otherwise healthy people, it normally clears up after around 48 hours – but if you are concerned or you have other health problems, speak to your GP or NHS Direct.”
- 1 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 2 House application rejected as loss of St Neots pub would be 'harmful'
- 3 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 4 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 5 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
- 6 Three people arrested in Somersham after stash of Cannabis found in car
- 7 Pedestrian seriously injured in Papworth bypass crash near St Ives
- 8 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 9 Uninsured driver caught in Ramsey speeding up to 100mph
- 10 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?