CAMBS: Nicky wows with jazz-inspired composition
A 14 YEAR OLD was given the top honour at Abbey College’s first ever Young Musician of the Year competition.
Pianist Nicky was named overall winner of the competition after coming first in the intermediate solo, intermediate recital and composition categories.
She was also a member of the winning ensemble act along with Ashley Jones, 15, Marcus Bingham, 14, and Mark Woodward, 14.
Nicky wowed the audience with a performance of her own composition Atlantic Journey, inspired by the work of American jazz guitarist Pat Metheny.
After picking up her trophy Nicky said: “I am obviously very pleased but also slightly surprised. There were so many good musicians performing. This has certainly encouraged me to continue developing my musical ability. I am currently studying for GCSE music but would like to pursue this further through university.”
You may also want to watch:
Winner of the best junior musician was Ramsey Junior pupil Shona Drummond, best novice soloist was Harry Branch, 13, best senior soloist was Marcus Bingham, 14 and best senior recitalist was Natalie Davies, 17.
The judges were Sue Peacock, assistant headteacher, and Jenny Robertshaw, former head of music.
- 1 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 2 House application rejected as loss of St Neots pub would be 'harmful'
- 3 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 4 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
- 5 Three people arrested in Somersham after stash of Cannabis found in car
- 6 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 7 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 8 Pedestrian seriously injured in Papworth bypass crash near St Ives
- 9 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 10 St Neots man loses 7 stone and raises £500 for charity
Kate Hamilton, subject leader for music said: “My congratulations go to all winners and competitors for such a superb evening and thanks to everyone who came to give their support.”
All proceeds from the evening will go towards the Abbey College concert band’s trip to EuroDisney in July, where they will perform to the crowds visiting the attraction.