CAMBS: New recruits join on-call firefighter ranks
- Credit: Archant
A mechanic, a glazier and a supermarket employee are among Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service’s new recruits ready to drop everything and respond to emergency call outs.
Seven people from a variety of backgrounds have completed training to become on-call firefighters attached to crews near where they live or work.
Joining Sawtry on-call crew is Stephen McCandless, a 32-year-old Kwik Fit mechanic; Perry Walton, 25, a civil engineer at Balfour Beatty will boost numbers in St Ives; Sean Jordan, 23, who works for Tesco in stock control has joined Huntingdon; and Sean Bellamy, 43, who works for a glazier company, will team up with Ramsey.
Three others will link up with crews in Gamlingay, Littleport and March.
Having completed their training at the county’s fire HQ in Huntingdon, they have been equipped with pagers and receive alerts when their assistance is required.
You may also want to watch:
INFORMATION: On-call firefighters have to be aged 18 and over, have a good level of fitness and live or work within five minutes of a fire station. For more details, call 01480 444500 or visit www.cambsfire.gov.uk.
- 1 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 2 Man charged after knife found in St Neots police raid
- 3 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 4 Jail for 'despicable' burglary on 93-year-old man with dementia
- 5 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 6 St Neots schoolgirl takes on bike ride for Children in Need
- 7 Former Stevenage midfielder is the new manager of Eynesbury Rovers
- 8 Axe-wielding burglar smashed way into St Neots house
- 9 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
- 10 Man dies after single-car crash near Godmanchester