Cambs friends intend to clock up hundreds of miles for the Papworth Trust
- Credit: Archant
Four friends have formed the Papworth Challengers – a group of cyclists who plan to ride thousands of kilometres to raise funds for disability charity, the Papworth Trust.
Dan Hawes, of Hemingford Abbots, Kieran Caulfield, of Earith, James Barlow and Jon Summerson, both of St Ives, will take part in cycling events in France, Belgium and Ireland, as well as taking on challenges in the UK.
Kieran said: “I suffered a disability that ended my career at that time and resulted in two years of surgery and recuperation. I know the value of support provided by organisations such as the Papworth Trust when rebuilding one’s life and a new career path.
“As well as the cycling, we are organising a number of fundraising events such as a cross-Channel row and open air cinema evenings and a gala dinner. We have launched a Facebook page that people can keep up to date with how we are doing as well as a Justgiving address to enable supporters to make donations.”
Dan added: “A friend of mine was helped into employment through a Papworth scheme and we are all aware of the great work the trust does and what it stands for.”
You may also want to watch:
The cycle challenges include: Huntingdon Wiggle (100km), London-Paris (560km), Liege-Bastogne-Leige (300km), Dublin-Galway (240km), Jurassic Beast (160km), Ring of Kerry (180km) and London-Brighton (100km).
The friends have various amounts of experience on two wheels. James and Jon bike into work in Cambridge every day from St Ives, but still join Dan and Kieran for regular training sessions.
- 1 Numerous Huntingdon High Street shops shut due to flooding
- 2 Take a sneaky peak inside the new Di Rita's at No2 restaurant in St Ives
- 3 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 4 Drink driver arrested in Brampton for being four times over the legal limit
- 5 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 6 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 7 Man who burgled his own father’s home is sentenced
- 8 Diners at St Ives pub help raise £8k for hospitality charity
- 9 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 10 Station hub will "breathe new life" into Huntingdon
INFORMATION: See www.facebook.com/PapworthTrustChallengers or www.justgiving.com/Papworthtrustchallengers.
The challenges include:
Huntingdon Wiggle (100km)
Jurassic Beast (160km)
Ring of Kerry (180km)