A FIVE-month-old baby had to be treated by paramedics after a house fire in Cambridge.

Fire crews were called to a fire which started in a kitchen in a house at 4.15pm on Friday in Watermead, Bar Hill, where a five-month-old baby and two adults were suffering from smoke inhalation.

All three were treated by paramedics at the scene.

The accidental fire has prompted Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service to issue a warning about kitchen fires, quoting new statistics which show half of all accidental house fires start in the kitchen.

A spokesman for the fire service said: "Winter is officially a time for comfort food. But whether it's a roast dinner, cottage pie or even a big fry-up that tickles your fancy, remember to stay safe in the kitchen.

"New research conducted by Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service shows that a staggering 50 per cent of all accidental fires in the home start in the kitchen - potentially making it the most dangerous room in your home."