CAMBS: Firefighters will no longer attend automatic fire alarm alerts at 21,000 organisations
- Credit: Archant
FIREFIGHTERS will no longer respond to alerts from fire alarms at more than 20,000 businesses and organisations in the county.
Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service will not attend fire alarm activations at 21,000 non-residential properties between 9am and 5pm during weekdays unless it receives a call to confirm there is a fire.
Responses to hospitals, schools, residential care and flats about four storeys have not been affected by the changes.
Rick Hylton, area commander, said: “More than 20,000 businesses/organisations will be affected and letters have been posted to these addresses to inform them.
“At these addresses, only confirmed fires will be attended by a fire engine between 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday. We will continue attending automatically outside of these hours.
You may also want to watch:
“The reason we have made the change is because these types of call place an additional burden on our resources and can delay us from attending genuine emergencies.
“Over the last five years, 98 per cent of calls to automatic fire alarms prove to be false alarms. A fire alarm’s primary function is to notify the occupants of a potential problem, not to contact the fire service.”
- 1 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 2 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 3 Huntingdonshire parks awarded Green Flag status
- 4 Volunteers needed to support booster jabs programme
- 5 Elsie May's Electric Lounge to raise £15,000 for bakery school
- 6 Visiting restrictions at Hinchingbrooke Hospital partially lifted
- 7 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
- 8 Appeal to Transport Secretary over Huntingdon Rail Station plan
- 9 Aggressive and controlling partner jailed
- 10 'Plague' of flies in Huntingdonshire villages
INFORMATION: If you are unsure if the changes affect them or need further information, visit www.cambsfire.gov.uk or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org