Cambs Fire Service: Kitchen safety
MORE THAN 50 per cent of all accidental fires in Cambridgeshire homes start in the kitchen, which is why it is so important to do all you can to be safe in the kitchen. Over the last five years, two of the county s residents have been killed in kitchen fi
MORE THAN 50 per cent of all accidental fires in Cambridgeshire homes start in the kitchen, which is why it is so important to do all you can to be safe in the kitchen.
Over the last five years, two of the county's residents have been killed in kitchen fires, 245 people have been injured, and 11 have had to be rescued by firefighters after they were unable to escape.
It is so easy to get distracted while cooking - the doorbell can go, the phone rings, children can distract us, or we leave the room to do other chores while food is cooking. A significant number of cooking related fires start when people come home from an evening at the pub after consuming alcohol, start to cook something and then fall asleep on the sofa. The next thing they know is being woken by firefighters, surrounded by thick black smoke, or waking up in a hospital bed.
The kitchen can be the most dangerous place in the home. Fire can cause damage not just to their property, but to family and loved ones too.
You may also want to watch:
By following some simple fire prevention advice, people can enjoy cooking safely:
Cookers and microwaves
- 1 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 2 House application rejected as loss of St Neots pub would be 'harmful'
- 3 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 4 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
- 5 Three people arrested in Somersham after stash of Cannabis found in car
- 6 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 7 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 8 Pedestrian seriously injured in Papworth bypass crash near St Ives
- 9 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 10 St Neots man loses 7 stone and raises £500 for charity
• Keep electrical leads, tea towels and cloths away from the cooker.
• Keen the oven, hob and grill clean. A build-up of fat and grease can easily catch fire.
• Don't put anything metallic inside the microwave.
• Take care if you are wearing loose clothing, it can easily catch fire.
• Don't leave pans unattended. Take them off the heat if you have to leave the room. Fire starts when your attention stops.
• Don't use matches or lighters to light gas cookers. Spark devices are safer.
• Turn saucepan handles so they don't stick out from the hob.
• Keen the oven door shut. When you've finished cooking, make sure the cooker or oven is turned off.
• Take care late at night. Most kitchen fires start between 10pm and 4am. It's easy to be careless when you're tired or if you've been drinking.
Chip pans/Deep frying
• Dry the food before you put it in oil
• Never fill the pan more than one-third full of oil
• If the oil starts to smoke, it's too hot. Turn off the heat and leave it to cool.
• Use a thermostatically controlled electric deep-fat fryer. They can't overheat.
• Never pour water on hot fat.
To find out more about Christmas fire safety or smoke alarms, contact 01480 444666 or visit www.cambsfire.gov.uk