CAMBS: Burglars found hiding behind sofa and in wardrobe
- Credit: Archant
Two burglars who were found hiding behind a sofa and another in a wardrobe by police have been jailed.
Officers were called to the house in Lincoln Road, Peterborough, shortly after 7.30am, on December 7, after the occupants had been awoken by the sound of smashing glass.
Patryk Zajac, 24, of Russell Street, Peterborough, and Piotr Wojcik, 25, of Grange Road, Peterborough, had smashed their way in to the home before raiding the downstairs, loading a laptop, alcohol and other electrical items into the back garden before returning to hunt for more valuables. They also disconnected the phone line to prevent the victims calling police.
But while they were searching downstairs, the victims used a mobile to dial 999 then barricaded themselves and their young children in a bedroom.
Officers arrived and arrested Zajac, who was hiding behind a sofa, and Wojcik who was found in a wardrobe in a room upstairs.
Both admitted burglary and were each jailed for two-and-a-half years at Peterborough Crown Court on Tuesday, January 14. Both will be deported back to Poland on their release.
Detective constable Adam Blake said: “This was a terrifying ordeal for the victims who could hear the offenders inside their home.
- 1 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 2 Pictures show dramatic skies over Huntingdonshire and the Fens
- 3 MBR Acres releases image of graffiti message
- 4 Work starts on affordable 56-home development in Huntingdon
- 5 Huntingdon thief jailed after stealing watch, iPod and iPhone from vehicles
- 6 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 7 Silent protest at Camp Beagle as vans leave the site
- 8 White roses and political history in Huntingdonshire
- 9 East West Rail host public event to discuss controversial project
- 10 80th birthday celebrations for the East's longest-serving lollipop lady
“They barricaded themselves in their daughter’s bedroom and called police. This has deeply affected them and I hope the sentence will help them to put this behind them.”