Cambridgeshire schools given �12.5million boost to fund extra pupil places
CAMBRIDGESHIRE has been given �12.5million additional Government money to spend on providing extra places for pupils.
The announcement came from education secretary Michael Gove last week and was part of an extra �600m made available to 110 local education authorities in England and Wales that have predicted a shortfall in school places for 2013/14.
Cambridgeshire County Council’s shadow cabinet member for education, Councillor Peter Downes, said: “The rate of growth in Cambridgeshire is higher than the national average and consequently there’s a shortfall of pupil places. It’s good to see recognition by the Government that there needs to be a more flexible approach to capital funding.”
Huntingdon MP Jonathan Djanogly told The Hunts Post: “A number of schools have told me that capital infrastructure needed investment. I am confident that this money will be put to good use.”
CCC said it was too early to gauge where the money would be spent.
You may also want to watch:
Bad drivers warned
TWO anti-social drivers in St Ives have been told they will have their vehicles towed away if their irresponsible driving continues.
- 1 St Neots man loses 7 stone and raises £500 for charity
- 2 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 3 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 4 Pedestrian seriously injured in Papworth bypass crash near St Ives
- 5 24 Hours in Police Custody: This is what happened to Alex Fitzpatrick
- 6 Uninsured driver caught in Ramsey speeding up to 100mph
- 7 Market demand leads to a reduction in Alconbury homes
- 8 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 9 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 10 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
Following complaints by members of the public, police patrols were carried out to identify the motorists involved.
Letters were also been sent to the owners of other vehicles that were seen being driven in an anti-social manner.