Cambridgeshire MEP Richard Howitt to step down from role months after Brexit vote
- Credit: Archant
Long-standing Cambridgeshire MEP Richard Howitt has announced today (Monday) his intention to leave the European Parliament, later this year, just months after the UK voted to leave the EU.
Mr Howitt is set to become chief executive of leading global organisation, the International Integrated Reporting Council, which is dedicated to linking companies with society, the environment and the wider economy.
“It will be a great privilege to apply my experience in Europe to a truly international role,” said Mr Howitt.
“I feel this role is a culmination of two decade’s worth of advocacy for higher levels of corporate transparency, governance and reporting to deliver a new bargain between business, capital markets and society.”
During more than 22 years as a Labour Euro MP, he has helped negotiate multi-million pound European investment regenerating coastal and market towns locally, establishing East coast ports and airports as priority European trade routes and devoting EU regional aid to helping local business transition to low carbon growth.
You may also want to watch:
“It has been an enormous privilege to serve in this role and I cannot thank enough the countless people who I have sought to help - and who have shown extraordinary kindness in helping me,” added Mr Howitt.
“It is time for me to take on a new role, but my personal values are as strong as ever, I will remain living with my family locally and I am sure the many friendships I have made will endure long in to the future.”
- 1 Station hub will "breathe new life" into Huntingdon
- 2 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 3 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 4 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 5 Gym members raise funds for children with cancer
- 6 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 7 Huntingdon assistant land buyer wins graduate award from her peers
- 8 Take a sneaky peak inside the new Di Rita's at No2 restaurant in St Ives
- 9 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 10 How well do you know Huntingdon?
Mr Howitt is expected to take up the new role in November and continues to undertake his full duties until his formal resignation.
The European Parliament procedure means Britain will nominate the next Labour candidate, Alex Mayer, from the last European Elections in 2014 to replace him as Euro MP.