Girl on the Train has been described as “must see theatre”
- Credit: Archant
The Girl on the Train - starring Samantha Womack - opens at the Arts Theatre in Cambridge on September 23.
Adapted from Paula Hawkins' novel - an international phenomenon that sold more than 20 million copies worldwide - critics are calling The Girl on the Train "exceptional" "gripping" and "must-see theatre".
Rachel Watson (Womack) longs for a different life. Her only escape is the perfect couple she watches through the train window every day, happy and in love. When the woman she's been secretly watching disappears, Rachel finds herself a witness and even a suspect in the police investigation which reveals more than she could have anticipated.
Womack is best known for her role as Ronnie Michell in the BBC soap EastEnders. She also starred as Miss Adelaide in the West End production of Guys and Dolls, reprising her role in 2007 at Sunderland Empire. From 2013 - 2017 Womack played the role of
Tanya in Sky Living's Mount Pleasant, as well as appearing in the Kingsman movies (2014, 2017).
You may also want to watch:
Womack returned to the stage in 2017 touring as Morticia in the musical comedy The Addams Family.
The Girl on the Train is a 2015 psychological thriller novel by British author Paula Hawkins. It debuted in the number one spot on The New York Times Fiction Best Sellers of 2015 list and remained there for 13 consecutive weeks. It occupied the number one spot of the UK hardback book chart for 20 weeks. The American film adaptation starring Emily Blunt was released October 2016.
- 1 Numerous Huntingdon High Street shops shut due to flooding
- 2 Take a sneaky peak inside the new Di Rita's at No2 restaurant in St Ives
- 3 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 4 Drink driver arrested in Brampton for being four times over the legal limit
- 5 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 6 Man who burgled his own father’s home is sentenced
- 7 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 8 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 9 Diners at St Ives pub help raise £8k for hospitality charity
- 10 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
Starring alongside Womack is Oliver Farnworth best known for his roles as Will Hackett in Hollyoaks (2006 - 2007) and as Andy Carver in Coronation Street (2014 - 2017).
The production runs from September 23-28. Performances are at 7.45pm, with matinee showings on Thursday and Saturday at 2.30pm.
Tickets are £25/£35/£40/£45 and available from the box office on: 01223 503333/www.cambridgeartstheatre.com.