Girl on the Train has been described as “must see theatre”
- Credit: Archant
The Girl on the Train - starring Samantha Womack - opens at the Arts Theatre in Cambridge on September 23.
Adapted from Paula Hawkins' novel - an international phenomenon that sold more than 20 million copies worldwide - critics are calling The Girl on the Train "exceptional" "gripping" and "must-see theatre".
Rachel Watson (Womack) longs for a different life. Her only escape is the perfect couple she watches through the train window every day, happy and in love. When the woman she's been secretly watching disappears, Rachel finds herself a witness and even a suspect in the police investigation which reveals more than she could have anticipated.
Womack is best known for her role as Ronnie Michell in the BBC soap EastEnders. She also starred as Miss Adelaide in the West End production of Guys and Dolls, reprising her role in 2007 at Sunderland Empire. From 2013 - 2017 Womack played the role of
Tanya in Sky Living's Mount Pleasant, as well as appearing in the Kingsman movies (2014, 2017).
You may also want to watch:
Womack returned to the stage in 2017 touring as Morticia in the musical comedy The Addams Family.
The Girl on the Train is a 2015 psychological thriller novel by British author Paula Hawkins. It debuted in the number one spot on The New York Times Fiction Best Sellers of 2015 list and remained there for 13 consecutive weeks. It occupied the number one spot of the UK hardback book chart for 20 weeks. The American film adaptation starring Emily Blunt was released October 2016.
- 1 Hinchingbrooke planning to expand critical care as Covid cases rise
- 2 Godmanchester Rapist is jailed for 15 years
- 3 Vaccine programme in St Ives and Warboys to start this week
- 4 Flood warnings issued as police receive multiple calls
- 5 Man rescued from car stuck in Tilbrook flooding
- 6 GP surgeries in Huntingdon and Papworth start vaccine roll-out
- 7 Man guilty of murdering partner's baby son
- 8 Housing first battleground in mayor elections for Cambridgeshire
- 9 St Neots entrepreneur to host 24-hour ‘Speak Up’ event
- 10 Police investigation closed into deaths of two men in Hunts village
Starring alongside Womack is Oliver Farnworth best known for his roles as Will Hackett in Hollyoaks (2006 - 2007) and as Andy Carver in Coronation Street (2014 - 2017).
The production runs from September 23-28. Performances are at 7.45pm, with matinee showings on Thursday and Saturday at 2.30pm.
Tickets are £25/£35/£40/£45 and available from the box office on: 01223 503333/www.cambridgeartstheatre.com.