Call made to cut speed limit after crash leaves two men in critical condition
- Credit: Archant
A parish council is calling for the speed limit on a busy stretch of road to be cut after a collision left two men in a critical condition.
The driver of a silver Fiat Punto, a 22-year-old man, and his 19-year-old passenger, were taken to Addenbrooke’s Hospital, in Cambridge, after a crash on the B645 with a blue Renault Clio and a blue Hyundai IX35 before the junction with High Street, in Hail Weston, at around 2.30pm on Sunday.
According to Cambridgeshire police the passenger remains in a critical but stable condition, while the driver suffered “life-threatening injuries” and is currently in a critical condition.
The drivers of the Renault and Hyundai were both uninjured.
Hail Weston Parish Council told The Hunts Post that it is has been fighting for more than 15 years for the speed limit on the road to be slashed from 60mph to 40mph in the wake of a string of serious crashes.
Councillor Tony Baker said: “This incident itself is a tragedy but we are concerned that it is going to happen again. I don’t believe that the county council taking enough interest on this stretch of road.
“Why we can’t do small things to things to fix that particular stretch of road and reduce the risk of injury.”
- 1 Outdoor inflatable water park returns to Huntingdonshire
- 2 Opposition group to fight plans for new homes in their village
- 3 Jail for man who boasted he was the St Ives 'weed man'
- 4 Woman has 'medical episode' during A1(M) crash
- 5 13-year-old helped to rescue distressed paddleboarders
- 6 Man fined £300 after being linked to fly-tipping
- 7 Fenland man repeatedly raped woman for 20 years
- 8 Police searching for missing man discover body
- 9 Thousands come together at RAF Wyton for Armed Forces Day
- 10 Huntingdon and Peterborough hospitals bring back masks after rise in Covid numbers
The parish council contacted the county council’s highways department last year to request a speed limit reduction and improve signage but this was rejected.
Figures supplied by the county council revealed that from January 2010 to December 2014 there were four serious and four slight accidents on the road between the junction for the A1 at Eaton Ford and Wood View.
A spokesman for the county council said: “It was found that just reducing the limit without any other measures would probably not slow traffic and in some cases lead to drivers to be tempted to carry out dangerous overtaking. Due to this the reduction was outside the speed limit policy which is also used by the police.”
The parish council is now looking at other measures to improve safety on the road.
Anyone who saw the collision on Sunday or the vehicles immediately beforehand is asked to contact the road policing unit on 101.