Waste not, want not
AN eco-friendly businessman from St Ives is to feature on national television. Steven Koch s company specialises in producing eco-friendly goods from recycled materials. He has been running Play Design for a year, turning materials passed on by large bus
AN eco-friendly businessman from St Ives is to feature on national television.
Steven Koch's company specialises in producing eco-friendly goods from recycled materials.
He has been running Play Design for a year, turning materials passed on by large businesses into new, designer products.
Examples of Play Design's work include a 'nibbles' tray for dinner parties made of leftover stainless steel and seating made from used tyres.
You may also want to watch:
The company is now being lined up to take part in a major Channel 4 television series.
Mr Koch, 23, said: "The idea came from spending time in factories and seeing how much waste some companies produce. It's great to be able to intervene in the early stages when you can make a difference.
- 1 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 2 Market demand leads to a reduction in Alconbury homes
- 3 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 4 Road blocked due to crash involving a tractor on A14 near Godmanchester
- 5 Award for teenager's bravery after losing his sight
- 6 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 7 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 8 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 9 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 10 Station hub will "breathe new life" into Huntingdon
"Most people wouldn't even think of designing products from what they consider waste, they are just looking to get rid of it."
The company is currently in talks with Channel 4 on a series looking at recycled materials. The show is scheduled to begin early next year.
Mr Koch, who graduated from Central Saint Martins College of Art and Design in London a year ago, added: "We're keen to make as many people as possible aware of what we do because there is so much waste produced by manufacturers.
"Sometimes we approach people and sometimes they approach us. Our door is always open and we will design anything depending on the materials available.
"Many materials being thrown away by businesses in the area can be reused and made into new products by local people and for local people so we'd love to hear from them."
INFORMATION: Visit www.iplaydesign.com or call Steven on 01480 49856.