Strong signs of early promise
A HUNTINGDON student was in contention for a place in the national final of a major business competition as The Hunts Post went to press. Matthew Townsend, a 21-year-old finance, accounting and management student at Nottingham University, won a place in t
A HUNTINGDON student was in contention for a place in the national final of a major business competition as The Hunts Post went to press.
Matthew Townsend, a 21-year-old finance, accounting and management student at Nottingham University, won a place in the semi-finals of oil giant Shell Step's annual search for the "UK's Most Enterprising Student".
Matthew took part in the Shell Step graduate placement programme and spent the summer helping to generate clients for Hartford-based marketing company, Spirit of Venus. He helped to create an online marketing programme for the company and to ensure its website became an integral part of its business. Matthew's efforts impressed a panel of judges and earned him a place in the Central England semi-final yesterday.
Matthew said: "The Shell Step placement taught me all about both the theoretical and practical sides of business, and I was able to implement this in the day-to-day running of the company."
You may also want to watch:
Wendy Howard, Spirit of Venus director, said: "The best thing about Matthew was that he was innovative and contributed lots of ideas. He brought energy into the business, inspiring product development. I will definitely reap the rewards from his work.
- 1 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 2 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 3 Volunteers needed to support booster jabs programme
- 4 Appeal to Transport Secretary over Huntingdon Rail Station plan
- 5 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
- 6 'Plague' of flies in Huntingdonshire villages
- 7 Huntingdonshire parks awarded Green Flag status
- 8 Lisa Leader makes it to Germany for life prolonging treatment
- 9 Axe-wielding burglar smashed way into St Neots house
- 10 Man dies after single-car crash near Godmanchester