St Ives tiler joins the big guns after Arsenal cannon work
ST IVES tiler Darrell Hawkins, who was responsible for the ceramic cannon at Arsenal’s Emirates Stadium, has been made “Tile fixer of the year” in The Tile Association Awards 2011.
Darrell, who runs Tilewell Ceramics, in Tennyson Avenue, was joint winner with Andy Howard of AGH Ceramics, Stevenage, after coming close to winning outright.
The Tile Association Awards celebrate all the best in the wall and floor tile industry, and recognise and reward the best products, people, businesses and projects in the tile industry.
The award for Tile Fixer of the Year recognises either a sole trader or employee within the tile fixing sector, a spokesman said. “He or she will be the best tile fixer in the business.”
“Darrell’s work has been to an exemplary standard: he is a perfectionist and I have had no hesitation in recommending him to friends,” said John Batter, who owns the Mosaic Company of Eaton Socon, has employed Darrel at his Hemingford home and recommended him for the award.
“We also recommended Darrell for the installation of a prestigious mosaic mural which we manufactured for the Emirates Stadium. So pleased were they that a second mural was commissioned and fitted just a few weeks ago.
“I believe Darrell is a worthy contender and urge the judges to give him due consideration.”
- 1 DVLA issues urgent warning to drivers in UK
- 2 New business celebrates its grand opening in St Ives
- 3 Council calls for return to mask wearing as Covid soars
- 4 Covid sweeps across Cambridgeshire as summer wave takes hold
- 5 Steve Barclay becomes Health Secretary following shock resignations
- 6 Huntingdon is 'prime example' of good infrastructure in region
- 7 Rikki Neave’s mother calls for tougher sentence for son’s murderer
- 8 Plaque unveiled for Legion's new home
- 9 Singing group will celebrate its silver jubilee with a concert
- 10 Blood donors needed urgently for session in Huntingdon
Darrell, 43, told The Hunts Post: “The Emirates project was a lot more prestigious than many people imagine. It was technically very difficult.
“At my age, it’s nice to be recognised, and particularly to be nominated by such satisfied customers.”
It was the second time he had been nominated: he also made the finals last year.
INFORMATION: Tilewell Ceramics is at 26 Tennyson Avenue, St Ives PE27 6TU: telephone 01480 354162 or 07810 370818: www.tilewellceramics.co.uk