Papworth charity backs Paralympian
LEADING disability charity Papworth Trust is to sponsor Paralympic basketball player Lee Manning for three years. Lee, 20, from Peterborough, pictured with Papworth Trust chief executive Adrian Bagg, is expected to be a key player in Great Britain s drive
LEADING disability charity Papworth Trust is to sponsor Paralympic basketball player Lee Manning for three years.
Lee, 20, from Peterborough, pictured with Papworth Trust chief executive Adrian Bagg, is expected to be a key player in Great Britain's drive for medals at the 2012 Olympic Games in London.
The exclusive sponsorship will mean the charity provides financial assistance over the next three years to help Lee achieve his goal of winning with Team Great Britain at the Paralympic Games in 2012.
Lee, who uses a wheelchair to play, was chosen following a panel discussion including a disability sports expert, a local authority Olympic sports champion and a media representative.
He will work with the disability charity to promote sport amongst its clients, including attending events and writing a monthly blog for the charity's website.
This is the first time the disability charity has sponsored a sportsman, and the move reflects its commitment to continued expansion in the future, following a growth in client numbers of nearly 40 per cent in the past financial year, the trust said.
- 1 Karl Brockett writes about the history of St Ives
- 2 'He is our hero' - D-day veteran Wilf, 102, gets surprise visit
- 3 Huntingdon town mayor supports launch of The Eclettica
- 4 House fire that killed two children will not have further electrical checks
- 5 Oliver Cromwell pub has had a brand new refurbishment
- 6 Man who died in St Neots crash is named
- 7 Huntingdon is full of Christmas cheer
- 8 Could you give these pets a home?
- 9 Family pay tribute to woman who died following St Ives crash
- 10 Huntingdon Racecourse - surviving the pandemic and then came the floods!
Mr Bagg added: "We are passionate about working with disabled people and enabling them to enjoy greater equality, choice and independence. Lee is a talented and inspirational young athlete who shares our values. This sponsorship will enable him to train with the Great Britain team by paying for his transport to local and nationwide sessions.