New supermarket to open in Ramsey
A NEW supermarket chain will open in Ramsey on Saturday, when the former Somerfield store is rebranded as a Haldanes store. The shop at 22 Great Whyte ceased trading on Wednesday, and will open under its new name tomorrow (Saturday), retaining all 33 empl
A NEW supermarket chain will open in Ramsey on Saturday, when the former Somerfield store is rebranded as a Haldanes store.
The shop at 22 Great Whyte ceased trading on Wednesday, and will open under its new name tomorrow (Saturday), retaining all 33 employees.
The store will be the sixth of an initial 11 opened by the chain, headed by chairman Arthur Harris, which has ambitious plans to grow to around 50 across the UK within the next four years.
Describing the opening as "great news" for Ramsey, Mr Harris said the store planned to charge 2p for carrier bags but will give the proceeds back to the town to support good causes.
"We appreciate the role that shops like ours can play in local communities and it's our intention to give something back in return," he said.
A key policy of Haldanes is to source 35 per cent of its products and produce from local producers at each of its stores across the country.
- 1 Air Ambulance is called to serious crash on London Road in St Ives
- 2 Young man dies on B645 near St Neots following a head-on crash
- 3 House set alight in Brampton
- 4 Tributes for Godmanchester mum Lisa Leader who passed away on Friday
- 5 Businesswoman who launched popular St Ives shop has died
- 6 Pedestrian killed crossing road
- 7 Local businesses join forces to create a Christmas Beer
- 8 Former army major sentenced after pillion rider dies in motorcycle crash
- 9 Sawtry homes plan is approved
- 10 Fens business park goes to auction - for up to £700,000