Landlords urged to check electrical safety

THE electrocution of a mother-of-two while running a bath has prompted a call for tenants and landlords to check the electrics in their rented homes. The Electrical Safety Council made the recommendation following an inquest into the death of Thirza Whit

THE electrocution of a mother-of-two while running a bath has prompted a call for tenants and landlords to check the electrics in their rented homes.

The Electrical Safety Council made the recommendation following an inquest into the death of Thirza Whittall, who died just six days after moving into a rented house that had not been rewired or inspected since 1981.

A faulty electric heating and a lack of earth bonding under the enamel bath combined to turn the metal bath taps into live electrical conductors.

Each year there are over 30 deaths and nearly 4,000 injuries from electricity in UK homes.

The Electrical Safety Council, the charity committed to reducing deaths and injuries caused by electrical accidents in the UK, recommends that the electrical installation in rented properties is tested at least every five years.

Phil Buckle, director general of the Electrical Safety Council, said: "Landlords have a legal obligation to make sure that the electrical installation in their rented properties is safe. An inspection of the electrical installation by a registered electrician, known as a periodic inspection, checks for any lack of earthing or bonding and can identify potential dangers.

Most Read

"Tenants should ask to see a copy of the Period Inspection Report before moving into a rented property to check that the electric installation has been confirmed as safe for use."

INFORMATION: For further advice for tenants and landlords, visit The Electrical Safety Council website at www.esc.org.uk.