Keep-Trade-Local campaign hits Westminster
THE Federation of Small Businesses has handed over its national 55,000-signature Keep Trade Local (KTL) petition to Number 10 Downing Street. Keep Trade Local kicked off last year to raise awareness about the need to safeguard shops and the communities th
THE Federation of Small Businesses has handed over its national 55,000-signature Keep Trade Local (KTL) petition to Number 10 Downing Street.
Keep Trade Local kicked off last year to raise awareness about the need to safeguard shops and the communities they sustain. With over 120 small businesses closing a day and in such difficult economic times, the campaign has been an invaluable, solution-offering safeguard for local suppliers, the FSB said.
The campaign has also been taken to the House of Commons in an event highlighting the ways local government can help small businesses thrive, not least during a recession. It included photographs by Maxine Beuret from an exhibition entitled 'A Nation of Small Shopkeepers' that illustrates the importance of small businesses to their local communities.
FSB Huntingdonshire Chairman Malcolm Lyons said: "Small businesses have been suffering from Post Office closures, late payers, planning delays, hidden business crime and a tenuous relationship with the banks. At the same time, we have been hit by a recession that is killing over 120 small firms a day nationally.
You may also want to watch:
"The Keep Trade Local national petition may have come to a close, but that does not mean small businesses do not need help any more. The onus lies above all on local government to create conditions where our small firms and high streets can thrive.
- 1 New garden village on outskirts of St Neots will bring 10,000 homes
- 2 Police move in to close house after reports of anti-social behaviour
- 3 Notice served to remove travellers from school site
- 4 Jail for man who stole more than £25,000 from company
- 5 Man named following fatal collision near Bluntisham
- 6 Mum's donation to thank 'incredible' midwives and maternity staff
- 7 Check out our photo gallery of cute family pets
- 8 Vaccine centres offering earlier second dose AstraZeneca
- 9 Almost 100 'sexual and violent crimes' recorded in two of our towns in one month
- 10 Man jailed for sexual relationship with schoolgirl