Industry recognition for manager of golf club
- Credit: Archant
The manager of a golf club in St Ives has been crowned Newcomer of the Year at an industry awards evening.
Gordon MacLeod was honoured at the Golf Club Managers Association conference held at Mercedes-Benz World, in Surrey, last month.
Mr MacLeod was a member at St Ives (Hunts) Golf Club for five years before taking on the role of general manager in July 2016, inspired by his passion for the unique golf course at St Ives – and his desire to provide a period of stability following a succession of previous managers.
Under his stewardship, membership at the club has risen 14 per cent between February and July, and he has established regular contact with England Golf and developed partnerships with local companies to spread the word about the club as well as building relationships with the local community.
With the club also the home of Titleist’s National Fitting Centre and a centenary on the horizon in 2023, St Ives are moving from strength to strength with Gordon at the helm.
Bob Williams, chief executive of the association, said “The awards reward the exceptional work that goes on in our industry. This was perhaps the hardest judging process I’ve been involved in – the standard of the finalists was exceptional across all the categories.
“Gordon is an incredibly deserving winner, and its especially satisfying that both finalists had been through the same GCMA training course together. Gordon’s work in his first year at St Ives deserves special praise, and we can’t wait to see the work he does once he’s really settled in.”
- 1 DVLA issues urgent warning to drivers in UK
- 2 New business celebrates its grand opening in St Ives
- 3 Council calls for return to mask wearing as Covid soars
- 4 Covid sweeps across Cambridgeshire as summer wave takes hold
- 5 Steve Barclay becomes Health Secretary following shock resignations
- 6 Huntingdon is 'prime example' of good infrastructure in region
- 7 Rikki Neave’s mother calls for tougher sentence for son’s murderer
- 8 Singing group will celebrate its silver jubilee with a concert
- 9 Plaque unveiled for Legion's new home
- 10 Blood donors needed urgently for session in Huntingdon
Mr MacLeod said: “I’m delighted both personally and professionally to be awarded this accolade; that said, it is clear recognition of a whole team effort by the entire staff and members at the golf club as we begin to realise the unique golfing potential of our wonderful golf course and first-class practice and social facilities.
“St Ives is now able to sit at the table with some of the bigger and better known names in the golfing world and directly benefit from engagement at the national level.”