High-tech skills are proving biz too far
AS many as 90,000 small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) in the East of England – many of them in Cambridgeshire – have missed out on a business opportunity because of inadequate information and communications technology. This is one of the key finding
AS many as 90,000 small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) in the East of England - many of them in Cambridgeshire - have missed out on a business opportunity because of inadequate information and communications technology.
This is one of the key findings of research of the region's SMEs commissioned by Lincolnshire County Council. It also reveals that, although SMEs recognise the benefits of ICT, many do not have the right knowledge and support to use it in the most beneficial way.
One in five respondents said they had missed out on a business opportunity because they did not have the right ICT. If applied across the East of England's 430,000 SMEs, about 90,000 businesses are losing out.
In addition, nearly half (46 per cent) agree that small businesses do not have the access to ICT knowledge and support available to larger businesses, and this can hinder business development.
You may also want to watch:
Four in 10 respondents felt that a lack of suitable ICT prevented flexible working and just a third knew what the latest technology - advanced broadband - was and how it could benefit business.
There are about 30,000 SMEs in Cambridgeshire.
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 3 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
- 4 Elsie May's Electric Lounge to raise £15,000 for bakery school
- 5 Visiting restrictions at Hinchingbrooke Hospital partially lifted
- 6 Volunteers needed to support booster jabs programme
- 7 Appeal to Transport Secretary over Huntingdon Rail Station plan
- 8 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 9 Huntingdonshire parks awarded Green Flag status
- 10 Parents 'can never forgive' actions for Maddie's murder