Give small firms major backing
THE Forum of Private Business (FPB) is pressing the Government and the UK s EU Commissioner Peter Mandelson to opt-out from a World Trade Organisation (WTO) agreement forbiding the favouring of small and medium-sized businesses (SMEs) in the procurement p
THE Forum of Private Business (FPB) is pressing the Government and the UK's EU Commissioner Peter Mandelson to opt-out from a World Trade Organisation (WTO) agreement forbiding the favouring of small and medium-sized businesses (SMEs) in the procurement process.
Canada, Japan, South Korea and the United States have had an opt-out from the Agreement on Government Procurement (GPA), since 1981.
Speaking in Strasbourg, the FPB's European spokesman, Martin Smith, said a quota of Government contracts in the UK should be set aside for smaller firms."
In the EU, trade Commissioner Mandelson, would have to negotiate this. The deadline for any proposal to revise the agreement is this month, otherwise the agreement stays in its current form for 10 years.
You may also want to watch:
Tory MEP Syed Kamall, of the European Parliament's Committee on Trade, has sent a written question to Mr Mandelson. "Small businesses and entrepreneurs are the backbone of our economy, yet the Government shuts them out of a potentially lucrative market." he said.
"Even if this Labour Government is not serious about opening this marketplace to small businesses, it is still important we get an exemption from WTO rules so that future Governments can take action," he added.
- 1 St Neots man loses 7 stone and raises £500 for charity
- 2 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 3 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 4 Pedestrian seriously injured in Papworth bypass crash near St Ives
- 5 24 Hours in Police Custody: This is what happened to Alex Fitzpatrick
- 6 Uninsured driver caught in Ramsey speeding up to 100mph
- 7 Market demand leads to a reduction in Alconbury homes
- 8 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 9 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 10 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
Tory leader, David Cameron MP, speaking at FPB's Small Firms' summit last week, pledged to set aside 25 per cent of Government contracts for SMEs if elected, but Mr Smith has warned that such a pledge may be futile unless the opt-out is in place.