Firm at heart of the action
D H BARFORD and Company is a name familiar to shoppers on many Huntingdonshire high streets, but very few of them will ever have had dealings with the firm. Yet the company has been a well-known name in the district for more than 30 years, and without its
D H BARFORD and Company is a name familiar to shoppers on many Huntingdonshire high streets, but very few of them will ever have had dealings with the firm.
Yet the company has been a well-known name in the district for more than 30 years, and without its activities shopping centres would look rather different.
Every time a shop changes hands, companies such as Barfords - chartered surveyors who specialise in handling sales and lettings of shops and other commercial premises - are vital intermediaries.
Although the wider public might know them only from their "for sale" or "to let" boards, they are so fundamentally part of the high street that they have been sponsoring the Retailer of the Year prize in The Hunts Post Business Awards for nine of the 10 years they have been a highlight of the district's business year.
You may also want to watch:
Barfords director Martin Page said: "We are so closely involved with the high street that it was natural that we should want to sponsor the retailer category. We are the leading agency for letting and selling shops in the area.
"We think it's good, not just for business but for the district, that the public should become aware of the successful businesses in the area."
- 1 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 2 House application rejected as loss of St Neots pub would be 'harmful'
- 3 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 4 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 5 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
- 6 Pedestrian seriously injured in Papworth bypass crash near St Ives
- 7 Three people arrested in Somersham after stash of Cannabis found in car
- 8 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 9 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 10 Uninsured driver caught in Ramsey speeding up to 100mph
D H Barford and Company was founded in 1974 by David Barford, who is retired but acts as a consultant. The partnership became a limited company in November 2004. Its 10 professional staff include five chartered surveyors and two chartered town planners.
"Huntingdonshire is our core area, though we also operate in neighbouring counties, such as Bedfordshire, Hertfordshire, Northamptonshire and the rest of Cambridgeshire," Mr Page said.
"We sell and let all types of commercial buildings, such as warehouses, factories and shops, and provide a full planning service from advice to handling planning applications and appeals for all developments.