Bury teenager with aspirations to become a vicar nominated for award
- Credit: Archant
A teenager from Bury who performs a number of voluntary roles and has ambitions to become a vicar has been nominated for an award.
Charlotte Field, of Grenfell Road, is in the running to receive a Linx Young People of the Year award, or Yopey – countywide awards recognising young unsung heroes.
The 17-year-old Abbey College pupil was put forward by Helen Norris, her philosophy and ethics A-level teacher, for her positive approach.
Mrs Norris said: “Charlotte is a true inspiration and has sustained an incredibly selfless approach to life. She is a brilliant role model at school.
“She is very active in the sixth form and has raised money for charities such as Cancer Research and Suffolk Horse Society.”
Charlotte, who helps younger pupils in their GCSE lessons, is also studying A-levels in geography and psychology and wants to do a theology degree.
To fund her future studies, she cleans the school building in Abbey Road for three hours on weekday evenings.
- 1 Huntingdon bookshop gets share of £2m online profits
- 2 Man who died on A1 at Sawtry is named
- 3 Garage demolition opponents set up Facebook group
- 4 Historic Huntingdon building on the market for nearly £500k
- 5 'Our inspiration' - Baby born four months early survives fight for life
- 6 He strangled Rikki, stripped him and left his body flat on his back, Old Bailey told
- 7 Mini-convoy marks funeral of 'kind-hearted' lorry driver
- 8 Fatal crash blocks A1M in Cambridgeshire
- 9 Appeal for dashcam footage following three lorry crash on the A14
- 10 Universal credit households to receive £20 for rising living costs
The teenager is also deputy head chorister and a bell-ringer for Ramsey’s St Thomas à Becket Church, a member of the parochial church council and leads youth services.
Until recently, she also volunteered at Red House nursing home, in Ramsey where she would chat to the elderly residents.
INFORMATION: Do you know somebody who deserves a Yopey? To nominate, visit www.yopey.org or write, enclosing a stamped-addressed envelope, to Yopey, Woodfarm Cottage, Bury Road, Stradishall, Newmarket CB8 8YN for an entry form.
The awards ceremony is due to be held at Ely Cathedral in the autumn.