Bury teenager with aspirations to become a vicar nominated for award
- Credit: Archant
A teenager from Bury who performs a number of voluntary roles and has ambitions to become a vicar has been nominated for an award.
Charlotte Field, of Grenfell Road, is in the running to receive a Linx Young People of the Year award, or Yopey – countywide awards recognising young unsung heroes.
The 17-year-old Abbey College pupil was put forward by Helen Norris, her philosophy and ethics A-level teacher, for her positive approach.
Mrs Norris said: “Charlotte is a true inspiration and has sustained an incredibly selfless approach to life. She is a brilliant role model at school.
“She is very active in the sixth form and has raised money for charities such as Cancer Research and Suffolk Horse Society.”
Charlotte, who helps younger pupils in their GCSE lessons, is also studying A-levels in geography and psychology and wants to do a theology degree.
To fund her future studies, she cleans the school building in Abbey Road for three hours on weekday evenings.
- 1 Vehicle caught fire on A1 near St Neots
- 2 Opposition group to fight plans for new homes in village
- 3 Man assaulted woman and verbally abused hotel staff
- 4 Fenland man repeatedly raped woman for 20 years
- 5 Honda, Seat and Toyota crash on A141
- 6 Huntingdon Carnival and parade returns this summer
- 7 £1,350 a day (plus VAT) for new chief executive at combined authority
- 8 Police searching for missing man discover body
- 9 A1 set for night-time and weekend closures until August
- 10 Outdoor inflatable water park returns to Huntingdonshire
The teenager is also deputy head chorister and a bell-ringer for Ramsey’s St Thomas à Becket Church, a member of the parochial church council and leads youth services.
Until recently, she also volunteered at Red House nursing home, in Ramsey where she would chat to the elderly residents.
INFORMATION: Do you know somebody who deserves a Yopey? To nominate, visit www.yopey.org or write, enclosing a stamped-addressed envelope, to Yopey, Woodfarm Cottage, Bury Road, Stradishall, Newmarket CB8 8YN for an entry form.
The awards ceremony is due to be held at Ely Cathedral in the autumn.